Monday, December 27, 2010

This years love had better last; Heaven knows it's high time; And I've been waiting on my own too long

Well, Christmas is over, so obviously the New Year’s top whatever lists are popping up out of the woodwork. For example, my exciting Monday off is including the top 50 most something or other videos of the 2000’s. And of course this will be followed up by D2: Mighty Ducks.

Yes. My life is amazing.

Just in case you’re curious, we’re on video number 43 and it’s 99 problems. Nothing like rocking to Jay Z for the holidays--a video that would be so much better without the bleeps. Sigh.
Anyways, my newest favourite blog The Frisky in amongst their top 10 lists have compiled a list of their “favourite things of 2010” as per another website “Your It List.” Your It List did not ask either The Frisky or myself to share our favourites but we’re going to do it anyways. Because what’s better than stealing other people’s ideas for the holidays?

Yeah, I’m getting the warm fuzzies too. 

Favourite Film: I’d have to say that there have been a decent number of films that I’ve enjoyed over the year--a fact that I didn’t think would happen when I tried to compile my top five favourite movies half way through the year. 

Now however, there's plenty of films that I've loved. Perhaps even enough to fit in a top 10 list. However, without a doubt Inception was my favourite film of the year--and not just because JGL looked so smecksay in his suits.

From the “are you smart enough to understand Inception?” marketing ploy to the albeit slightly cliche ending, the premise, the acting, the music... I fell in love with and was blown away by Inception. It’s the rare movie that I’ll watch more than once in theatres. Inception was always going to be one of those movies.



Favourite Album: I’m going to cheat a little here. I’d have to say Lungs by Florence + The Machine is my favourite album of the year--despite the fact it was released in 2009. Yeah, I guess I’m a little slow on the uptake with that one.

It’s a rare album that I love from start to finish, that I can honestly say I love every single song off of it. Lungs was one of those very rare ones that I adored, and played---possibly obsessively, on end for several months.

Lungs had a little bit of everything. Dramatic music, poppy fun songs, uplifting songs, songs for heartbreak, for love, for getting through the day. It was all there. If there was my biggest regret of 2010, it was not getting tickets to her concert when she was in town.




Favourite book: Well, unfortunately I don’t have anything super suave to put in this category. 99% of the books I read are generally fantasy trash. Not to say they’re not well written or engaging--they’re not Twilight after all, however, I’m not exactly reading Globe and Mail’s best sellers or Pulitzer Prize winners.

I guess if I had to choose, anything done by Patricia Briggs automatically becomes my favourite. She’s an author I think I discovered in late 2009 and managed to get through her series at an alarmingly rate. 

I suppose that part of my new year's resolution, along with starting to drink at family events, should be to possibly even up that whole serious to trashy ratio.


Favourite television show: While it may have started out as a guilty pleasure, I will admit that Vampire Diaries has become my favourite show currently on air. Sure, it had all the makings of being a Twilight rip off, but... and I’m as shocked as anyone else, it’s managed to come into it’s own. 

I remember being pleasantly surprised by the pilot, figuring it had some style but could easily fall into the Twilight cliche. Fortunately between the pacing, the writing, the characters, the quality/amount of gore, and the fact that it’s a show that really has no qualms about killing off minor and major characters at the drop of a hat, it’s managed to become watchable, addicting and I love coming home to new and old episodes every Friday night. 


Favourite youtube video: I’ll admit that I only saw this one about a week or two ago off of a friend’s facebook wall. However, since then it’s become quite a hit with my friends. Even a simple: Allen! Allen! Sends us all into a fit of giggles.



Favourite internet meme: Fuck Yeah Ryan Gosling. For obvious reasons. Both hilarious and adorable. Plus, hi. Pictures of Ryan Gosling. What could be wrong with that?!



Favourite concert: This is a tie, if only because they’re so different. 

Strictly music wise, for an intimate show, I’d have to say City and Colour was my favourite concert. Dallas Green has mastered the best balance between talking, joking around and singing. He was never boring, never ungrateful for the experience and he never seemed nervous or unprofessional. He's managed to find that special balance that changes a concert from being just songs being sung and a performance.

The best part of the performance was the fact that he managed to keep the same spirit of all his songs, but put a different twist on it so that I could fall in love with all his music again. It didn't feel like you were just listening to a cd of his music with a bunch of people, there was experimentation, old favourites and a few covers to keep things interesting.


On the other side of things, Muse really kicked ass. They defined 'cool' like no one else could and like I mentioned when I originally wrote about the concert, Muse deserves every award they receive for their live shows. Lights, lasers, guitar solos, flashy clothes. It was all there.

Favourite blog/website: Pajiba. A website of reviews, snarky people and a good way to waste several hours at work when I should be y'know, working.

What are you most excited for in 2011? It’s a three way tie at this point between going back to school this September (gods willing), some expected news that should occur in the next couple of months and my hopeful but tentative plans for going away for my birthday.

School has been something that is both looming over my head and an escape from the work force. I’m both scared shitless and a little antsy to get started and despite the fact that it’s not exactly... a four year stint at UBC or Emily Carr, I mean it’s -just- a certificate, it’s still a big step in my life.

Otherwise, I’m really hoping to get away for my birthday. I’ve never been on a trip without my mother and have never left the country at that. In an effort to shake things up a bit and establish a bit of independence, I’m hoping that I’ll be able to afford a trip to San Francisco to ring in my 24th year.

Who do you want to smooch on New Year’s Eve? I’m not really a person who gets excited about New Year’s Eve. Had I not been coerced into a fairly low key dinner and drinking at a mutual friend’s, I probably would have been content reading a book or working on a post and going to bed whenever. I’m that girl who tends to fall asleep before midnight.

That said, since I doubt I’ll end up kissing who I really want to on New Year’s (which is just an excuse for a kiss, really), lets shoot for the moon and say Ryan Gosling and then JGL. And then back to Gosling, then back to JGL, then back to Gosling...


What do you want most for a holiday gift? Well, despite the fact Christmas is over I guess it's safe to just ask for the things I won't get. Although, there's always my birthday. 

So what do I want for my holiday gift? The aforementioned Ryan Gosling and JGL. Obviously.

Or else this Marc Jacob’s bag or this Mat and Nat bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment