Sunday, August 22, 2010

Turn it up; Heat it up; I need to be entertained

I recently had this idea in an effort to spur on some creativity and content ideas, to try and make a semi-weekly (come on, if you’ve read this site before you kinda know that consistent, I am not) “themed” post.

Oh, no. I know what you’re thinking. Super lame right? And maybe it is. But I’ll try not to make it too lame. Like don’t worry, we’re not in Twilight territory here. As most novice writers, I do tend to suffer from writer’s block and so the ability to churn out a post every week or so can seem a little daunting. Sure, I have plenty of ideas to write but the ability to take what’s in my head and put it onto paper--or in this case, up on a computer screen can be a little more of a frustrating process than I’d like. Which is why there are at least four ideas floating around that haven’t been posted as of yet.

Anyways, enough about that. The point I was trying to make is that if I made a “themed” post on something that I enjoy immensely perhaps it’ll help get more creative juices going and hopefully you’ll see a lot more writing around here.

Shocking, I know.

And maybe it’ll help me deter that ‘woe is me’ emo crap that has afflicted my blogs in the past.

Yeah, you’ll thank me later now won’t you.

When I was thinking over what would make a good theme, a couple of ideas came up. I mean, the reviews are good. It’s something that allows me to give an opinion and it’s not like I need to come up with the idea, I’m working off something else. Unfortunately, I know that reviews are not necessarily the most popular thing on this blog and that if you’re not interested in that particular genre or even that type of media it can get a little boring. Plus, seeing a movie every week could put a dent in my pocket, even with cheap Tuesdays.

However, in a chat with M one day I said something about guilty pleasures--something I believe I’ve discussed on this blog before, and I realized that I seem to have a lot of them. Maybe more than the average person. I mean, the idea behind a guilty pleasure is that it’s something that you’re a little ashamed about and yet you get a lot of enjoyment out of. Pop music seems to be a good example of this.

Now I’m not sure if everyone has them, or maybe not as many as I do. Perhaps people are shameless enough or confident enough that they have enough of a ‘I like this and fuck you if you think I’m weird for it’ attitude but unfortunately someone as insecure as I am, who’s still trying to find a style and a taste is a little more unsure. So I may roll my eyes and tease you about your Katy Perry or your Twilight but don’t worry, there’s just some days where Justin Timberlake is the only one who ‘gets me’ or where I squeal like a sixteen year old when Vampire Diaries comes on.

I guess this is part confessional and part having a little fun. Sure, some of these things will be more guilty than others and you can make fun of me if you’d like to. They’re guilty pleasures for a reason. It’s not everyone who I tell these to.

And hey, if you don’t like it. Fuck you.

See, confidence building already.

No comments:

Post a Comment